Monday, April 25, 2011

Our Egg-cellent Easter

We had an extremely good Easter. I don't think it's a stretch to say that it's nicest Easter I've ever had.

Jen and I got up at about 6:45 to a beautiful Spring day. That right there was a nice change of pace, because it seems like the weather is always terrible for Easters around here, either snowy or rainy. But the temperature was in the mid-70s and absolutely lovely.

Lily woke up in a delightful mood, dressed herself and consented to a leisurely breakfast. We went out to the yard and she hunted for eggs with the excitement only a four-year-old can muster. Someday, she's going to be a sullen 15-year-old who paints her toenails black while she listens to The Cure, and I'm glad I've got the video of this so I can remind her of the enthusiasm she used to have for the simplest things.

We went to Jen's UU church after this, and the pastor had a sermon about Eostra, the pagan goddess after whom Easter was named. He pronounced it "Ôstarâ", which is just as legitimate as the version to which I'm more accustomed, but it was rather unfortunate, because he put the accent on the second syllable, which made it sound like he was saying "O-Starro", which made me think of Starro the Conqueror.

Starro giving the children's sermon
Of course, it's fairly well known that Unitarians worship Cthulhu, and I'm not up on their whole weird theology, but I think Starro may be one of their saints.

We were meeting Jen's family at 1:30 and church let out before noon, so we had a little time to kill. I suggested that we spend it wandering around a local cemetery. (I imagine you probably spent your Easter in much the same way)


Like the sign says, the place is called the Ninsky Hill Cemetery and it's really quite nice, and rather more expansive than it looked from the street. The most distinctive features of the place are a residential home complete with swingset actually on the grounds of the cemetery,

This guy is going to be screwed when the zombie invasion comes

and a rather phallic looking monument.

Paging Doctor Freud...

After that, we met Jen's family at a local firehouse, and Lily was super sweet while we were there. Some poor bastard was dressed up in a bunny costume, and by this time it was nearly 80 degrees. Lily waved to him very nicely, and then as soon as he took off, whispered to me, "That's not really the Easter Bunny. He has a zipper in the back. It's just a man in a costume."

No comments:

Post a Comment