Wednesday, February 26, 2014

What Josh Reads: General

Ars Technica: Ars Technica is Latin for "technological art", and I think that describes the site well. They feature coverage across the tech spectrum, though I mostly read them for their reviews.

Boing Boing: This could have just as easily gone into my Geekery category. Cory Doctorow is an outstanding writer of both essays and fiction.One of the best sites online dealing with free speech tech, geek culture and whatever else they think might be interesting.

Cool Tools: They average about a post a day, highlighting useful or intriguing items that are generally pretty inexpensive.

Cracked:  Sometimes their articles are pretty good, but they are flawed enough (deliberately, I suspect) that they inspire a large volume of passionate discourse. They want eyeballs and controversy brings it. In essence, Cracked is trolling the Internet. And they're good at it. I don't begrudge anyone their success, but I do look askance at people who quote from Cracked articles to make a rhetorical point.

Flickering Myth: I have the vague recollection that another blog linked to Flickering Myth and the article was really good, to the extent that I subscribed to the feed immediately. I can't find that article and I wonder if I didn't imagine it. I don't know why I keep this in my feed.

Lifehacker: Extremely useful site full of tremendously useful advice. Handy resume advice, resume advice and general tips that don't fall into an other category.

PostSecret: From their descriptions: PostSecret is an ongoing community art project where people mail in their secrets anonymously on one side of a postcard. Some of them are absolutely heart-breaking.

Robotech News: All right. I love Robotech. But the feed is awful. I hear about Robotech cons a day before they start or a week after they end. What's the point?

RogerEbert Headlines: The site has really gone downhill since Roger Ebert died. But Ebert was one of a kind, a pulitzer prize winner and the first film critic to be awarded a star on the Hollywood walk of fame. The inheritors of the site are fine critics, but I can get film reviews anywhere. It's not an exaggeration to say that he defined film modern film criticism.

The Consumerist: Consumer Affairs blog. Reminds their readers twice daily that you're not obligated to show their receipt at the door, which is a rather odd subject about which to be so passionate.

You Are Not So Smart: About the fallibility of reason and our capability for self-delusion. Very well written and solidly researched, but updates on the site are infrequent.

No comments:

Post a Comment