Friday, September 26, 2014

Legend of Korra Book Four: Balance Trailer Review


Hot on the heels of Book Three, which concluded in the end of August, it's season four of The Legend of Korra. 

Korra has not been treated well by Nickelodeon. Season Three was delayed for months, then launched with almost no advertising, then later pulled from the schedule entirely, to live on as a digital-only release.

Korra is a great show with a ton of outstanding characters. I'm not going to go into a huge amount of detail here, but it's the successor to Avatar: The Last Airbender, set seventy years after the end of the first series. We see a couple of the original character, now the Elder Statesmen of the world, but mostly it's all new cast of youngsters.

It's rare enough to find a children's show with a female lead, let alone a person of color. I don't watch it because it's progressive, though. I watch it because it's outstanding. I could write a series of posts on how great the show is, but I'm just going to cover the trailer with this.

Look, I made some low quality gifs of Asami kicking some dude's butt! Go Asami!





The trailer tells us that it's three years later. We get the montage, including Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em Mech Suits,

  

Suyin looking sad (and frighteningly, Lin is nowhere to be found in this trailer),


Zelda Williams' character Kuvira launching a coup (?), She'd been somewhat awkwardly thrust to the forefront at the end of Book Three, and it looks like it was to set up her larger role in Book Four.


Meelo, Jinora and, uh, the other one (Ikki), in their flight suits,



more Metal Clan army,


ZUKO'S DAUGHTER, the Fire Lord, finally!

I love that she wears glasses


the triumphant return of Katara,


ugh, Zhu Li and Varrick,


 and maybe...Toph?

"I can't believe it! Toph?"


You'd better not tease me with Toph and not follow through! You hear me, DiMartino and Konietzko?!

Based on what we're looking at here, I'm guessing that Kuvira was another one of the Red Lotus' sleeper agents, and that she launches a full scale war, with mech suits designed by Varrick.

Your lack of Lin disturbs me. I hope she doesn't get killed early on, especially after all that development she got last season. She's tied with Tenzin and Asami as my absolute favorite character. Would love to see Toph, Zuko and Katara back together again. How great would that be?! October 3rd can't come soon enough.

Nick.com has a brief promo clip, and I think it's the most endearing thing in the world that Konietzko is wearing a Gymkata shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment