Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Adventures of Charlie Brown, Kitty Clock and Princess Pretty.

We were carving pumpkins today and I said, "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!"

Lily said "My name's not Charlie Brown!"

Me: What would your name be if you were a boy?
Lily: (Thinks for a moment, laughs) Charlie Brown!
Me: What would mommy's name be if she were a boy?
Lily: Mmmm...Kitty Clock!
Me: And what would my name be if I were a girl!
Lily: Princess Pretty!

Awesome! That's absolutely going to be the name of my next character for City of Heroes

I was watching the Secret of Kells with Lily and there is a scene where the little girl gets knocked over and Lily looks over at me and says "I think she's dead." I swear, she thinks about death and dying an awful lot for a four-year-old.

I was talking to a friend about my weekend and she mentioned that I lead an interesting life. We were having this conversation over email, and at first I assumed that she had accidentally emailed me with a comment meant for someone else. I'm just about the most boring person in the world. What I am, however, is a halfway decent writer, and I'm able to recount semi-interesting activities in a somewhat engaging fashion to give the illusion that I occasionally do something entertaining. Also, Jen is very good about scheduling fun things to do, and I've become somewhat better since Lily was born in sometimes getting out of the house to do fun stuff.

Yesterday, after dinner Lily was telling us what a narrator does, and she really does remember everything she sees and hears. She's going to be a smart adult.

She's going to be a sweet one too. I was pretending to walk into the door frame to be silly, but Lily thought I was really going to hurt myself, so when I went to do it again, she stepped in my path with her arms upraised and said, "No, daddy! You'll hurt yourself!"

I'm kind of concerned that she's going to be a good liar on top of that. She wanted to "trick" mommy into thinking that she was wearing her jammies to bed, but she was really getting dressed in the clothes she would wear tomorrow, which is a time-saving technique we employ from time to time. The thing was, she kept up a completely fictional running commentary about "Now I'm putting on my jammie pants" and "I'm getting dressed in my fuzzy slippers", and she seems aware of the fact that if you can convince someone that they already know the truth, they're not going to go searching for it. Something to keep an eye on.

In happier news, here is a photo of the first picture she made for my desk at work.



 (She had drawn one previously, but decided that she liked it so much that she was going to keep it.)  She told me, "If you ever get sad at work, you just take a look at the picture. It will remind you of me, and you'll be happy again!" And you know what? She's right!

A friend sent me a link to a cool story because she knows how much Lily loves riding on escalators. The Levylator has a modular design that allows it be arranged in an endlesss loop. (Mechanized Penrose Stairs, anyone?)



I showed it to Lily and she said "Oh, boy! You'd never have to get off of it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment