Sunday, July 15, 2012

Promoted from the Comments: Finding Zelazny

I'd been meaning to follow up on this almost since it was posted, but I didn't want to steal Zach's thunder. About a month ago, he had asked people how they had first encountered Zelazny's works.

I thought it was an interesting question and worth its own post, so here it is. I touched on my own introduction in my Roadmarks post, and I'll reproduce it here.

My father's girlfriend lived down the street from us when I was about fourteen or so. I was at her house one day in the summer, looking for something to read, and she gave me her ex-husband's shoebox full of sci-fi paperbacks. I grabbed two that looked nifty, Roadmarks (aka Last Exit to Babylon) and Creatures of Light and Darkness.

I loved those two and I was hooked from then.

Also, I don't have any contact information for you Zach, but you contribute to the site with quite a bit of Zelazny stuff, so if you want to have author privileges in order to post these things yourself rather than just putting them in the comments, just drop a line and I'll make it happen.

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate the offer, but I'm afraid I'd abuse my privileges and post a bunch of crap that would ultimately ruin the site. This is the one true Zelaznian wildlife preserve on the Internet, and it needs to remain awesome. So I'll just keep bugging you by posting random crap in the comments whenever I have something to say. =P

    On another note, it's nice to hear your story about finding Zelazny; I'd actually read it before, but I'd forgotten about it until now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll see your concerns about diluting the Zelaznian pedigree of the site and I'll raise you a list of the ten most popular posts!

    1.) A review of a children's cartoon
    2.) A random story about Christmas
    3.) A review of a children's cartoon
    4.) 24 Views of Mt. Fuji
    5.) A post about my daughter
    6.) A review of Fright Night
    7.) A review of a children's cartoon
    8.) A post about Superman
    9.) Isle of the Dead
    10.) My Avengers review

    A big part of the thing is that those posts have neat pictures and a lot of people find the site through google image search, but I think it's funny that all of the Zelazny posts are eventually going to get knocked off the top ten.

    Anyway, the offer is still open if you should ever change your mind.

    ReplyDelete