Wednesday, June 6, 2018

TV Review: The Good Doctor


I watched The Good Doctor with my mom at her request. I was on the fence after the pilot, but I tend to give shows a mulligan on the pilot, as they're still finding their feet.

Holy shit, what an awful show. We open with a doctor defining autism for another doctor. I understand that you need to give some exposition to the audience, but that was just about the clumsiest and worst possible way to do it.

The baddies think that dumping an autistic doctor into a patient-facing role with no effort to accommodate his needs is a bad idea. The goodies roll out the "You hate autistic peoples! They said the same thing about women and blacks in the workplace!!11" chestnut almost immediately.

It's simple-minded, preachy and mawkish. It perpetuates the myth of people on the spectrum as savants. I hates it so much.




1 comment:

  1. Sounds terrible. I've been on the fence about checking it out. I'm interested in the premise, but... basically was worried that it would be terrible in all the ways you say it's terrible. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete