Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Zelazny What If: Caine as the villain in the Corwin Chronicles



Who: Caine

Then came the swarthy, dark-eyed countenance of Caine, dressed all in satin that was black and green, wearing a dark three-cornered hat set at a rakish angle, a green plume of feathers trailing down the back. He was standing in profile, one arm akimbo, and the toes of his boots curled upwards, and he wore an emerald-studded dagger at his belt. There was ambivalence in my heart.

Why: Ambition.

How: Like Bleys, Caine’s story requires very few changes to make him the villain. When we first meet him, he is already allied with the villain of the piece in a plot to seize the throne. He betrayed Corwin by reneging on his vow to remove his fleet from the seas leading to Amber, framed him for murder, spied on him at great length and finally stabbed him in an attempt to kill him.

At the end of the chronicles, we have only his own words to prove that he was acting for the good of Amber. But really, what else would he say?

Caine, I never liked you and I still do not trust you. You have insulted me, betrayed me and even stabbed me. Forget that. I do not like your methods, though I cannot fault your loyalty this time around. Peace, then. Let the new reign begin with a clean slate between us.

No comments:

Post a Comment