Friday, October 21, 2022

Chapter 21: The World is a Vampire

 Evil laughing vampire in the style of Modigliani.




I've always liked Graymalk's description of the Count.      "I saw him one night, departing that first crypt.  I'd hidden myself on a tree limb, to watch it happen.  He seemed to ooze up out of there as if he weren't really moving any muscles, just flowing, the way Quicklime can do.  Then he stood there a moment with his cloak flapping about him in the wind, turning his head, looking at the world as if he owned it and was deciding what part of it would amuse him just then.  And then he laughed.  I'll never forget that sound.  He just threw his head back and barked, not the way you do, unless you've a special way of barking just before you eat something that might not want to be eaten, and that this pleases you, adds to the flavor.  Then he moved, and it played tricks with my eyes.  He was different things, different shapes, flapping cloak all about, even in different places at the same time, and then he was gone, like a piece of the cloak sailing away in the moonlight.  I wasn't unhappy to see him go."






No comments:

Post a Comment