Monday, March 14, 2011

Honey ice cream and a lack of ducks

We've been having a pretty nice week. I took Lily to see Rango because I started writing for an online magazine and that was the movie I was assigned to review. I'll link to it when it goes up. She enjoyed it despite a couple scary parts, and Jen enjoyed her time alone with her episodes of Glee.

I can't believe how much fun it is playing with the little Scott & Romona plushies with Lily. The specifics of the story usually varies, but the general plot is the same. The boy is irritating and the girl wants him to leave her alone. This morning she was trying to take a nap and the boy burst into her room and asked "Maybe you'd like to hear me sing a particularly irritating folk song with several hundred choruses?" Later on, the girl ran him over with her car, then put it in reverse and backed over him again.  Not incidentally, talk of playing with the dolls is one of the few things that really motivate her to jump out of bed in the morning.

She's also really enjoying the They Might Be Giants Here Comes Science CD. "I am a paleontologist" is the breakaway hit. The songs are catchy enough that we don't mind listening to them.

We spent some time visiting Jen's friends at the parks department for the maple sugaring class. We had a lot o fun running around and playing Ice Cream store, where she gave Baby Bear some honey ice cream with bee sprinkles on top.




Then we went to downtown Clinton. I used to spend a lot of time there with my buddy Tim and the place hasn't really changed a lot in the past 20 years. The same shops closing ridiculously early. The famous Clinton Mill. One time, Tim and I were feeding the ducks and we decided to see if we could get them to go off the waterfall. It took about fifteen minutes and the duck just glided down safely to the bottom when it realized what was happening.
The famous Clinton mill! Not pictured: Ducks.

Lily had a hot dog and some ice cream and she wound up with a tummy ache. Kids can sometimes be kind, but they're generally just monstrously selfish. That's why I was so happy to hear Lily say to Jen, "I'm glad that you didn't eat as much as I did, because then you'd have a tummy ache too." It's not easy to think about someone else's comfort when you're uncomfortable, especially when you're a little kid, and I'm pleased and impressed that she did.

Of course, not everything was peaches and gravy this weekend. I went to the doctor on Friday and he put me on some medication for my blood pressure. We'll see how that goes. I've been eating like a slob because of my dissatisfaction with my job, and not getting as much exercise as I could, both of which are aggravating factors for something to which my family is already predisposed. So, bleh.

No comments:

Post a Comment