Saturday, January 26, 2013

Project: Library of Creative Illumination

My friend Seth Friedermann is organizing a project. It's called the Library of Creative Illumination and the goal behind it is to assemble a database of instructional videos from artists and creators across a variety of disciplines, explaining how they overcame their challenges to become who they are today. It's an ambitious goal, but if anyone can accomplish this, it's Seth.

I first met Seth more than fifteen years ago, and he immediately impressed me as tremendously, almost intimidatingly intelligent man.  Seth is smart, but there are lot of smart people in the world. As I grew to know him better, I realized that he understands concepts better than anyone I have ever known.

If he doesn't know something about a topic being discussed, he's capable of drawing on the knowledge he has and applying that information to something new.  It's a cliche to say that someone sees "the big picture", but Seth really does have an uncanny ability to make sense of the patterns that underlie seemingly unrelated concepts.

But more than that, he's capable of communicating this understanding. Seth writes about fashion at Design Matters, a topic for which I ordinarily have very little interest. But I never miss one of his posts. His style is so accessible and engaging that I find myself getting excited about it too.

He's got the passion and the knowledge for this endeavor and the eloquence to express it. I think this is a very worthwhile goal, so please click on through to check it out. Even if you can't contribute, please share the link with someone who might be interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment