Tuesday, October 27, 2015

A Day in the Lonesome October-fest, October 27



The continuing account of reading A Night in the Lonesome October with an nine-year-old, out loud and during the day.



October 27

There's nothing a smart kid likes more than being right about something, so Lily was, of course, overjoyed at this chapter, having speculated several days ago that the Good Doctor wasn't really a player.  Fortunately, she celebrated with quiet good grace and kept her victory strut under five minutes.

We enjoyed the dialogue with Gray and Boobie Bubo too:
Graymalk immediately moved near and asked, "Was the Good Doctor an opener or a closer?" 
"Please," he said, "let me be. I'm just a simple pack rat. Snuff! Don't let her have me!" 
"I've already eaten," she said. "Besides, I owe you courtesy as a fellow player." 
"No you don't," he said. "It's over. Over." 
"Just because your master is dead doesn't mean I should treat you as anything other than a player." 
"But you know. You must know. You're toying with me. Cats are that way. I'm not a player. I never was. Have you really eaten recently?" 
"Yes." 
"That's worse then. You'll toy more." 
"Shut up a minute!" she said. 
"See? There goes the courtesy."

No comments:

Post a Comment