Sunday, October 4, 2015

A Day in the Lonesome October-fest, October 4th

The continuing account of reading A Night in the Lonesome October with an eight-year-old, out loud and during the day.

October 4th

Snuff makes his rounds. Lily is certainly capable of reading the book on her own, but I do the reading, so I can omit any of the minor bad language.

I skipped past the line where the Thing in the Circle says "Son of a bitch!" to Snuff, but somehow she intuited that something was missing and peered over and looked at the page, and giggled at the transgressive language. 

Cheeter showed up, and Lily asked if every chapter would be introducing a new animal and I said that we were just about done with that part of the book. We decided that my Cheeter voice was a little too much like my Needle voice (rapid and high-pitched), so Lily suggested that I go slow and deep, "just to be ironic" and I did.

At the end of the chapter I read the part that went "and somewhere in the distance a howling rose up. No one I knew. I wasn't even sure it was a dog. It said a single word in the language of my kind, a long, drawn-out "Lost!" My hackles rose at the sound of it." and said to Lily,  trying to get her to speculate on what it might be, "What do you think that was?  It sounded like a dog, but not exactly-" and she interrupted with "Daddy, we're reading a horror book. It's obviously a werewolf." 



Nobody likes a smartass. 

No comments:

Post a Comment