Friday, April 8, 2016

8: Roger Zelazny Quote of the Day: Predictably, it involves an immortal and an obscure mythology




He's begun writing a new novel. Predictably, it involves an immortal and an obscure mythology. Jeez! And reviewers say he's original. He hasn't had an original thought for as long as I've known him. But that's all right. He has me.

I think his mind is going. Booze and pills. You know how writers are. But he actually thinks he's getting better. (I monitor his phone calls.) Hell, even his sentence structures are deteriorating. I'll just dump all this and rewrite the opening, as usual. He won't remember.

The Context: Roger Zelazny's computer has become self-aware and is rewriting all of his stories.

Why I like it: I think this is something I got right in my initial review of Loki 7281. At the time the story was written, the conventional wisdom was that Zelazny's best days were behind him, and this story was the best possible way to address this.

No comments:

Post a Comment